Wednesday 28 June 2017

Welland Long Course Triathlon

July 25, 2017
Race Report - Ryan Dockman

What a start to the Multisport Canada Triathlon Series #MSCTri! The weather was forecasted for rain, showers, thunderstorms (or a combination) but as we've seen this summer the weatherman is unreliable at best. It worked out for us! It was a great day, sunny with some wind but an amazing day for racing.

It's my second year on the Multisport team and this was my second time racing Welland. It really is a great race to test your ability at the longer distance triathlons. If you are thinking about making a jump to a 70.3 or even the full Iron distance I would definitely recommend it. It's a 2km Swim, 56km Bike and 15km run and the course gives you the opportunity to set your own pace and challenge yourself without being punished by major climbs on the bike or hills on the run.

Plus the venue is amazing. This is really the only venue I've been to that has a perfect set-up for spectators. And I couldn't have been more happier having them cheer me on.

Even though it is a race, it's you are pushing your own and trying to better yourself. Sunday was a great race for me. In 2016 I was 49 minutes off the leader and this year I shrunk that down to 25 mintues: a 24 minute improvement on the leader. 

My race time was 18 minutes faster that 2016 and was 1st AG!!! My first Triathlon win!!!!

The swim is at the Welland International Flatwater which has calm water, no current and a grandstand cheering you in and out of the water. The Bike is a flat 56km, that's an out that loops back. Perfect for pushing into the longer distance and the run is a 5km loop that circles through the grandstand 2x until the finish. This race sets me up well to vie for the Overall AG Series, but there's still a lot of racing to do.

A big thank you John Salt and the Multisport Canada #MSCTri for inviting me onto the team again this year and #BladeCarbonWheels for setting me up on my 88's - they definitely made a difference on Sunday. This sport and the series is a source of inspiration and I aim to continue to improve! 

And another thanks to all the Volunteers that came out, without the help these races can't happen. Looking forward to jumping out the steamship with everyone July 15th, at Gravenhurst!

Ryan Dockman Toronto, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment