Wednesday 31 August 2016

Wasaga Beach Race Report
Aug 27, 2016 - Olympic Triathlon
Multisport Canada Recharge with Milk Series

     For anyone who's starting out in Triathlon and for those who are looking to push PB I recommend giving Wasaga Beach a try! It was by far my most enjoyable Triathlon to date!
   
  One of Triathlon's great attributes is its ability to help people enjoy being outdoors, to see the countryside, and take advantage of warm summer days. Sometimes I find that race locations, and race days don't offer the same for friends and family that come out to support you, especially while you're out on the course.


Once a race is over I find myself packing up all my gear and heading to a nearby restaurant, or sometimes even driving home after a race.

     Not at Wasaga Beach, I spent the whole afternoon swimming and relaxing by the water. If you have family and friends that love the beach (and who doesn't) this is the perfect venue for you to invite them out and enjoy the experience with you!
             
     Wasaga Beach Olympic unfortunately was my last Triathlon of the year. I started off with my most demanding races: Victoria 70.3 and the Welland Multisport Long Course race. Since then I have been training hard to push for speed at Bracebridge & Gravenhurst achieving my best result 3rd AG.

     I knew this race had less elevation on the bike so I thought I could achieve my fastest time yet and I was right!!! And I couldn't have it at a better venue. I placed 2nd AG, with a 1:05 bike and a 42 run both my fastest race day results.  My swim was slow but I have realized that I need to really work on my technique before it will get much better.  

2:21 PB Overall! Only :40 seconds off 1st AG!

     For those beginners and competitive AGer's  out there who need some inspiration and belief that hard works pays off, here's a snapshot of my first race last year and my results 1 year later

     Bracebridge Aug 9th, 2015: 47 minutes off the race winner!  

M30-34
93
73
7
00:29:12
01:21:01
00:54:04
02:48:27.2

Wasaga Beach Aug 27, 2016: 15 minutes off the race winner!

M35-39
18
18
2
00:29:30
01:05:36
00:42:35
02:21:03.0

     In 1 year I have been able to carve 27 minutes off my time and still feel I can go much faster. Second place AG 35-39 was a result that I am super thrilled to end the season with, and I'm looking forward to seeing what another year of training can do.  
     Thanks Multisport Canada for another great event, what a great race with great competitors. I can't wait to race Wasaga Beach again! 

Ryan Dockman Toronto, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment